Ph.D. Education (Western) Applied Psychology
M.Ed. (Western) Educational Psychology & Special Education
B.Ed. (Western) Intermediate/Senior Biology & General Science
B.Sc.H. (Queen’s University) Life Sciences
Dr. Melanie-Anne Atkins is delighted to return to the Centre for Teaching and Learning after a 4-year absence. Her prior contributions to the CTL include developing eLearning modules for graduate students and faculty members, facilitating microteaching sessions for Teaching in the Canadian Classroom and the Advanced Teaching Program, and mentoring graduate students as the Faculty of Education Lead TA and then as a TATP Instructor.
Dr. Atkins has partnered with every Western University faculty and Western-affiliated university college to develop a diverse set of educational resources and assessment tools in the areas of mental health and wellness, financial literacy, anti-oppressive practices in education, academic literacy and research skill development, intercultural communications, and eLearning.
Dr. Atkins has delivered over 200 presentations, the majority during her time as Wellness Coordinator, where she led the creation and development of the Wellness Education Centre into a student-led wellness education innovation hub, teaching evidence-based strategies to improve the mental health and wellness of the Western community. Drawing on her PhD research in anti-stigma education, which received the Alberta O’Neill Ontario Graduate Scholarship for academic achievement and research merit pertaining to children’s mental health, Dr. Atkins has become a key contact for staff, faculty, and student leaders seeking mutually beneficial, enriching, and sustainable strategies to support students with mental illness in the classroom, and to promote mentally healthy learning environments for all.
Maddock, N., Atkins, M., Fazekas, M., & Robinson, J. (2020). Wellness overdue? Check in at the Weldon Library wellness station: Partnering for student wellness. In A. Lannon, & S. Holder (Eds.), Student wellness and academic libraries: Case studies and activities for promoting health and success. Association of College & Research Libraries.
Atkins, M. (2020). Bell Let’s Talk Day: Should I share a mental health story? The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/bell-lets-talk-day-should-i-share-a-mental-health-story-130260
Rodger, S., & Atkins, M. (2020). You've got support. In D. Ellis, & D. Dawson (Eds.), Becoming a Master Student, 7th Edition. Nelson Education/Cengage Learning.
Fried, R., Atkins, M., & Irwin, J. (2019). Breaking grad: Building resilience among a sample of graduate students struggling with stress and anxiety via a peer coaching model – an 8-month pilot study. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 17(2), 3-19.
Rodger, S., Hibbert, K., Leschied, A. W., Atkins, M., Masters, E. R., & Pandori-Chuckal, J. (2018). Mental health literacy as a fundamental part of teacher preparation: A Canadian perspective. In A. W. Leschied, D. H. Saklofske, & G. L. Flett (Eds.), Handbook of School-Based Mental Health Promotion: An Evidence-Informed Framework for Implementation (pp. 127-142). Springer International.
Atkins, M., & Rodger, S. (2016) Pre-service teacher education for mental health and inclusion in schools. Exceptionality Education International, 26(2), 93-118.
Rodger, S., Hibbert, K., Leschied, A., Pickel, L., Stepien, M., Atkins, M., Koenig, A., Woods, J., & Vandermeer, M. (2014). Shaping a mental health curriculum for Canada’s teacher education programs. Physical and Health Education Journal, 80(3), 28-29.
- Atkins, M., Dickerson, D., Ingram, W., Patterson, Z. & Sankar, K. (2020, December 14). IWIK covid-19 mental health panel. Society of Neuroscience Graduate Students “I Wish I Knew” seminar series: UWO.
- Atkins, M., Khoo, Y., & Adus, S. (2020, November 3). Going beyond the status quo to reach underserved students. Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health Annual Conference.
- Atkins, M., Khoo, Y., & Adus, S. (2020, September 2). Moving beyond ‘culture-blind’ approaches to mental health. Fall Perspectives on Teaching Annual Conference: UWO.
- Atkins, M. (2020, June 11). Getting back on track...in a pandemic. Canadian Bone and Joint Young Investigator’s Forum: London, Ontario.
- Preston, J. & Atkins, M. (2020, June 9). Inclusive research spaces. Western Research Virtual Conference: UWO.
- Atkins, M. (2019, March 23). Working your 40%. Regional HIV/AIDS Connection 2nd Annual Multicultural Health Fair: London, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2019, January 15). Enjoy grad school: Stress management for the new year. Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2018, November 21). Recovery-oriented strategies: Putting theory into practice. Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health Annual Conference: Toronto, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2018, July 24). Stress management. Own Your Future workshop: School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, UWO.
- Atkins, M. (2018, May 5). Thriving in graduate school. Own Your Future workshop: School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, UWO.
- Atkins, M., & Ford, L. (2018, June 20). Why peer education may save us all. Canadian Association of College and University Student Services (CACUSS) Annual Conference: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
- Atkins, M. (2018, February 9). Supporting the wellness of undergraduate students. Future Professor Workshop: Centre for Teaching and Learning, UWO.
- Atkins, M. (2017, October 6). Self care in graduate school. Graduate Student Wellness Week workshop: Society of Graduate Students, UWO.
- Atkins, M. (2017, September 19). Stress management. Postdoc Appreciation Week workshop: School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies & Postdoctoral Association, UWO.
- Carr, W., & Atkins, M. (2017, May 30). TeachMentalHealth: Curriculum resource for pre-service teachers. Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE) Annual Conference: Toronto, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2017, May 28). Dear teachers: What youth living with mental illness want teachers to know. CSSE Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2016, October 4). Mental health literacy for teacher candidates: An introduction. Year 1 Teacher Candidate Conference: Faculty of Education, UWO.
- Haque, A., Atkins, M., Jacquart, M., & Meadows, K. N. (2016, June 22). Graduate students as educational leaders: Transforming departmental teaching cultures through the Lead TA Program. Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Annual Conference: London, Ontario.
- Carr, W., Kutcher, S., Wei, Y., Rodger, S., Gilham, C., Atkins, M., & Bruce, V. (2016, May 29). TeachMentalHealth: Developing mental health literacy in teacher education. CSSE Annual Conference: Calgary, Alberta.
- Atkins, M. (2016, February 1). Mental health and wellbeing. Guest lectures for Concurrent Teacher Education Program Mentored Inquiry in Teaching course. Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE): Toronto, Ontario.
- Borchert, A., Herra, A., McGregor, M., & Atkins, M. (2015, November 18). Not lost in translation: Practicing intercultural communications. Western International Week: UWO.
- Atkins, M., & Rodger, S. (2015, November 6). Mental health education for teachers. Canadian Association for Teacher Education (CATE) Working Conference: Toronto, Ontario.
- Atkins, M., & Miko-Kelly, H. (2015, October 28). My story, my way: Lessons learned working with youth with lived experience. Community-University Research Alliance 5th Annual Poverty and Social Inclusion Forum: London, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2015, October 26). Mental health education for educators. Guest lecture for EDUC 5499: Curriculum and Pedagogy in Intermediate/Senior Health Education. Faculty of Education, UWO.
- Rodger, S., Atkins, M., & Gillis, K. (2015, June 4). Co-creating curriculum with youth partners for mental health literacy for teacher education students. Canadian Psychological Association Annual Convention: Ottawa, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2015, April 27). From surviving to thriving: Mental health and well-being in graduate school. Future Professor Workshop: Centre for Teaching and Learning, UWO.
- Hibbert, K., Rodger, S., & Atkins, M. (2014, June 26). Exploring the knowledges produced through a virtual 'systems of care' approach to achieving mental health literacy with preservice teachers. Professional Practice, Education and Learning (ProPEL) International Conference: University of Stirling, UK.
- Atkins, M. (2014, May 25). Why can’t we be colourblind? CSSE Annual Conference: St Catharines, Ontario.
- Rodger, S., & Atkins, M. (2014, May 14). An evaluation of mental health literacy learning for bachelor of education students: Mental Health Day 2014. Mental Health Education Integration Consortium (MHEDIC) Spring Meeting: Chicago, Illinois.
- Atkins, M. (2013, May 26). “It comes back every time”: The intersection of race and achievement in the Canadian classroom. Black Canadian Studies Association Conference: St Catharines, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2012, May 28). Can they or can’t they? Shifting discourses in the academic outcomes of black students. CSSE Annual Conference: Waterloo, Ontario.
- Atkins, M. (2012, March 27). Dance like a man: Interrogating media representations of masculinity in dance. Western Research Forum, UWO.