ABC Online Course Design Workshop
The goal of ABC Online Course Design is student-centred rapid course development. We are recommending this process for instructors looking to shift their course from in-person to online. This process is flexible enough to be used by:
- Individual instructors
- Instructor teams
- Departments or programs
ABC Online Course Design consists of two components:
- Pre-workshop activities, to be completed on your own (30 - 40 minutes)
- A course storyboarding workshop, facilitated in Zoom or completed on your own (2 hours)
- Create a storyboard of your current course design
- Adjust your storyboard for an online or blended course design
- Identify next steps for finishing your storyboard and using it for course development
Preparing for the Zoom workshop
To participate in the course storyboarding workshop in Zoom, you must complete all Part 1: Pre-Workshop Activities, and have on hand the following:
- Current course outline including learning outcomes
- Map (spiderweb graph) of current course learning types
- A copy of the story board template for your course
Please fill out a Book a Group ABC Online Design Workshop form here
Email email@example.com with the details of your consultation request
- Role (faculty, grad student, postdoc, librarian/archivist, administrator, staff)
- Faculty / Department
- Reason (Book a Group ABC Online Design Workshop)
If you have not received a response to your inquiry within five business days, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Login to Western Connect using your Western username and password.
- Go to the Centre for Teaching and Learning section. Select Event Calendar and select the event you wish to register in. Details and a description of the program will appear.
- Select the Register for this Event button. If the event has reached capacity, you may have the option to register on the waitlist.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
- Participants will be sent a Zoom link the morning of the drop-in.
If you have any questions or problems registering for an event, please contact email@example.com.
The ABC workshop was developed by Clive Young and Nataša Perović at the University College London as a lightweight, streamlined process for designing courses based on sound educational principles. In 2016, Young and Perović modeled open educational practices by assisting a cross-institutional team to adapt their openly licensed materials for Ryerson University's semester layout and available tools.
The Centre for Teaching and Learning at Western University and the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at Ryerson University have adapted these materials for the transition to remote and online instruction, and are available for individual and team use at both universities and beyond.
The importance of time
Whether you decide to complete the workshop independently, or join us for a synchronous zoom session for part 2, you will notice that we will pay close attention to time. We will encourage you to storyboard your course in broad brush strokes, and leaving the details for after the workshop. In a sense, you are an artist painting the general scene, leaving the fine brush and pen detail work for another time.
The process is intended to be iterative, so that once you have your storyboard created, you can adjust it how you like it. This may be different than how you are used to working, but it can be an efficient strategy for creating an initial course design. So, do the best you can to keep from getting "lost in the weeds" and keep at a course level overview.