Path 5: Designing for Accessibility in Online Learning.
There are many simple design elements you can build into your online course to support students with disabilities, while at the same time improving the course experience for all students. By designing with accessibility in mind, you'll anticipate the needs of a variety of students and will be less likely to have to make changes to course formatting once the course begins.
If you still have questions after reviewing the videos, set up a group consult with your department, unit, or group of instructors, OR, join us at our weekly open Q&A.
Please fill out a Book a Group Online Course Design Consult form here
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of your consultation request
- Role (faculty, grad student, postdoc, librarian/archivist, administrator, staff)
- Faculty / Department
- Reason (Book a Group Online Course Design Consult)
- Key questions / topics you would like to discuss
If you have not received a response to your inquiry within five business days, please email email@example.com.
- Login to Western Connect using your Western username and password.
- Go to the Centre for Teaching and Learning section. Select Event Calendar and select the event you wish to register in. Details and a description of the program will appear.
- Select the Register for this Event button. If the event has reached capacity, you may have the option to register on the waitlist.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
- Participants will be sent a Zoom link the morning of the drop-in.
If you have any questions or problems registering for an event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessible Word and PDF Documents [6 min]
Make your word and PDF documents more easily readable for text-to-speech assistive reading devices.
Video Transcripts and Closed Captioning [4 min]
Learn about different ways you can provide text with your course videos.
Creating Accessible OWL Course Sites [5 min]
Apply elements from the first two videos in this pathway with techniques for creating a more accessible OWL site to create an accessible course for your students.