Ph.D. Education (Western - in progress) Critical Policy, Equity, and Leadership
M.A. English (Western)
B.Ed. Education (UBC)
B.A. English Hons (UBC)
Aisha is an educational developer with a background in culturally relevant teaching, anti-racist education, and post-colonial literature. At the CTL, she develops programs to support graduate student professional development, supports faculty members in course design (particularly for intercultural learning), and coordinates the Western Certificate in Academic and Professional Communication for international teaching assistants.
Aisha is also an affiliated researcher in the Centre for Research on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education at Western. Her research with Nanda Dimitrov on intercultural teaching competence was recognized with the Christine A. Stanley Award for Research on Diversity and Inclusion from the POD Network (2017). Aisha is a frequent invited speaker who has facilitated 11 faculty-development workshops as well as 9 keynotes and plenaries across Canada, Hong Kong, and Japan. She has been a guest co-editor for the Canadian Journal of Higher Education (special issue on Teaching Preparation for Graduate Students, 2015) and served on the executive committee for TAGSA (Teaching Assistant and Graduate Student Advancement - a SIG of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education).
Aisha brings a decade of teaching and course-design experience at the post-secondary level to the TSC. She was previously Professor of Writing and Communication at Fanshawe College where she taught over 20 courses (face-to-face, online, and blended) on Bollywood cinema, writing, and professional communication.
Dimitrov, N. & Haque, A. (2017). Intercultural teaching competence in the disciplines: Teaching strategies for intercultural learning. In Pérez, G. Garcia-Perez & C. Rojas-Primus (Eds.) Promoting intercultural Communication Competencies in Higher Education. (pp. 89-118). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Dimitrov, N. & Haque, A. (2016). Intercultural teaching competence: A multidisciplinary model for instructor reflection. Intercultural Education. Special Issue: Learning at Intercultural Intersections. 27(5), 437-456. doi.org/10.1080/14675986.2016.1240502
Fisher, L., Godden, L., Golparian, S., Haque, A., Keating, B. Korpan, C. Sheffield, S., Riel, S., Skorobohacz, C., Verwoord, R., & West, K. (Eds.) (2015). Quality enhancement: Teaching preparation for graduate teaching assistants [Special issue introduction]. Canadian Journal of Higher Education. 45(3), i-viii.
Keynotes and Invited Presentations
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (December 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
The Tapestry of Flipped Learning: Weaving Online and Face to Face Components
(Flipped Classroom Symposium opening plenary)
- Hong Kong Baptist University (December 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
Approaches to Internationalization in Higher Education
Curriculum Design for Intercultural and Interdisciplinary Courses
Assessing Student Learning in Diverse and Interdisciplinary Classrooms
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (May 2017 with Nanda Dimitrov)
Course Design for Intercultural Learning
Facilitating Group Work in Diverse Classrooms
Mentoring Graduate Students Across Cultures
- Simon Fraser University (May 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
Navigating Diverse Classrooms: Opportunities for Facilitation and Curriculum Design. SFU Teaching and Learning Symposium opening plenary.
- Kwantlen University College (May 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
Facilitating Learning Across Cultures
- Langara College (May 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
Preparing Faculty to Facilitate Learning Across Cultures
- Thompson Rivers University (March 2017 - with Nanda Dimitrov)
Interculturalizing the Curriculum: Preparing Instructors to Facilitate Global Learning
(Learning at Intercultural Intersections: International Research Conference)
- Western University (May 2016)
Mentoring Graduate Students in Academia: Strategies for Success
(Canadian Society of Zoologists Conference)
- Western University (April 2016)
Enhancing Student Motivation in the Second Language Classroom
(Innovative Approaches to Second Language Teaching Conference)
- Canadian Institute Of Management (October, 2013)
Communication in the Intercultural Workplace
(Professional Manager Symposium)
- Gemein, M., Dimitrov, N., & Haque, A. (2017, March). World Café: Learning activities that promote perspective-taking and positionality. Featured presentation at the Learning at Intercultural Intersections Conference, Kamloops, ON.
- Haque, A. Atkins, M., Jacquart, M., & Meadows, K. N. (2016, June). Graduate students as educational leaders: Transforming departmental teaching cultures through the Lead TA Program. Workshop presented at the Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference, London, ON.
- Fisher, L., Haque, A., Keating, B. Godden, L., Golparian, S., Riel, S., Skorobohacz, C., Verwoord, R., & West, K. (2016, June). Graduate students advancing literature on graduate students: Reflections on co-editing a special issue for the Canadian Journal of Higher Education. Pecha Kucha presentation at the Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference, London, ON.
- Dimitrov, N. & Haque, A. (2016, February). Training design for intercultural learning: Preparing faculty to teach in diverse classrooms. Workshop presented at the Educational Developers Caucus Conference, Windsor, ON.
- Taraban-Gordon, S., Dimitrov, N., Haque, A. &, Anstey, L. (2016, February). Graduate courses on university teaching: Enhancing traditional courses through open educational resources. Roundtable presented at the Educational Developers Caucus Conference, Windsor, ON.
- Haque, A. (2015, March). Western’s intercultural certificate program: Helping international graduate students adapt to Canadian academia. Poster presentation at the Learning at Intercultural Intersections Conference, Kamloops, BC.
- Hannon, N., Olsen, K. &, Haque, A. (2014, June). Supporting innovative practice in teaching and learning among GTAs: Fuller’s stages of concern model. Workshop presented at the Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference, Kingston, ON.