Course Design Workshop
In this two-day workshop, participants have the opportunity to design or redesign a single course, present their design plan, and receive feedback. Past participants have appreciated the hands-on nature of the workshop, time and space dedicated to thinking about course design, test-driving active learning activities and assessments, and meeting colleagues working on similar challenges.
Topics vary with each offering of the workshop to meet the needs of the participants. Past themes have included Blended Course Redesign and Course Design for Intercultural Learning.
Core topics include:
- aligning course, instructional, and assessment goals
- writing effective learning outcomes
- selecting and incorporating learning activities
- embedding technology to enhance face-to-face instruction
- visualizing the curriculum pathway (mapping/outlining your course)
- designing authentic assessment
By the end of the workshop instructors will be able to:
What to expect
Formats vary, but typically participants can expect to spend 2 days in the workshop, either consecutively or a week apart. Participants work on details of their course design between day 1 and day 2, and present their plan on the second workshop day.
None currently scheduled. Check Event Calendar for future dates.
Once per year, usually in May.
Limited to instructors.
- Login to CareerCentral using your Western username and password.
- Go to the Centre for Teaching and Learning section and select Event Calendar
- Search for and select the event you wish to register in. Details and a description of the program will appear.
- Select the Register for this Event button. If the event has reached capacity, you may have the option to register on the waitlist.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
Prerequisites / Recommended Preparation
The facilitators will be in touch with registrants ahead of the session to provide information about pre-work and completion requirements.
Applies to following certificates
You may also be interested in programs:
Testimonials from Course Design participants:
"Hearing ideas and getting feedback from other participants [was the most useful aspect]. In addition to the planned sessions I learned a lot from informal conversations and discussions that spilled into the breaks. I liked the variety of activities, e.g. discussions, writing down our course plans, and using sticky notes to give each other feedback. The handouts were also very helpful, e.g. providing language we can use for assessing cognitive and affective outcomes."
"Aligned assessment and visualization pathway exercises motivated me to think deeply about my course design. The active learning strategies were also very interesting, and prompted me to think about how these could be done in an online course."