Preparing for Curriculum Review
This workshop takes place over 3 half-days, and orients faculty members to Western’s Institutional Quality Assurance Process, also referred to as the Cyclical Program Reviews. It is offered with the support of the Office of the Vice-Provost (Academic Programs) and in collaboration with the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS).
- An overview of curriculum review and the departmental self-study process, presented by the Vice-Provost (Academic Programs) and the Vice-Provost (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies)
- Collecting data for the self-study: Curriculum review as a scholarly practice
- Introduction to curriculum mapping: Purpose, benefits & challenges
- Recent reviews: Faculty panel on lessons learned, with department chairs who have recently completed their review process
- Building strategies for faculty engagement.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- describe the key components of a high-quality self-study
- identify appropriate data collection methods to assist with their self-study
- incorporate strategies and considerations for planning and facilitating effective departmental curriculum retreats
- align program-level learning outcomes with Western Degree Outcomes (WDOs) and Graduate Degree-Level Expectations (GDLES)
- engage colleagues in mapping the curriculum of their programs.
What to expect
Participants will get a hands-on opportunity to review and write program-level learning outcomes, can ask questions related to the upcoming IQAP process, and will receive curated resources related to curriculum review, including sample curriculum maps and self-study templates.
Dec 11, 1pm – 4pm, Dec 14, 9am – 12pm, Dec 15, 9am – 12pm, 2020
Undergraduate and Graduate Program Chairs with a program undergoing review within the next 24 months; faculty in a leadership role for an upcoming program review; or staff in a supporting role for an upcoming program review.
- Login to Western Connect using your Western username and password.
- Go to the Centre for Teaching and Learning section. Select Event Calendar and select the event you wish to register in. Details and a description of the program will appear.
- Select the Register for this Event button. If the event has reached capacity, you may have the option to register on the waitlist.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
Typically offered annually in early December.
Prerequisites / Recommended Preparation
You may also be interested in:
Testimonials from past participants
Based on feedback collected from 2017 participants, 100% (n=17) of respondents rated the overall effectiveness of Preparing for Curriculum Review as either “effective” or “very effective”, rated on a 5-point Likert scale.
Past participants have the following to say about the workshop:
“I especially enjoyed the broader discussions with colleagues from across campus in order to hear how others are dealing with specific situations.”
“The sessions had a good mix of presenters and activities that kept my attention. It is perhaps difficult subject matter for many to get excited about but I think overall the TSC did a great job of making it interesting, providing useful tips and insight into the process, and keeping us engaged.”
“Friendly, supportive, good presentations, good pace, useful materials and resources, interesting speakers and panel.”