Teaching Mentor Program
The Teaching Mentor Program is a cohort-based hands-on learning experience, wherein participants work with a group of 4-5 interdisciplinary graduate students and postdoctoral scholars to observe and offer feedback on one another's teaching. Each participant will design and teach a 50 minute student-centred lesson that can be delivered via Zoom, such as one might deliver as a guest lecture or as a teaching demonstration at a campus visit. Groups will meet multiple times over the course of the semester, to act as students in one another’s teaching demonstrations.
As part of this program, participants:
- receive written and verbal feedback on their teaching from their peers
- provide constructive, specific, written, and verbal feedback to their peers.
Participants are also encouraged to:
- apply great teaching strategies that they observe to their own teaching
- reflect upon the feedback they receive
- incorporate positive colleague written feedback into their teaching dossier.
What to expect
Participants are placed in online small groups and engage in reciprocal teaching observations online with each member of the group, providing both verbal and written feedback to one another during a final meeting.
No upcoming session is scheduled at present.
Current graduate students and postdoctoral scholars
- This program is in high demand. If you anticipate any reason for not being able to commit and attend the Organizational meeting on February 8th from 1-2pm [EST],, participation in all of your group’s teaching demonstrations, and in the final feedback meeting, please do not register to avoid taking the spot of another student who could benefit from this program.
- TMP is reserved for students who have not already completed TMP.
- TMP Registration closes on Feb 1 at 12:00pm [EST].
- At the mandatory meeting, TMP participants will be introduced to their assigned groups and will begin scheduling peer online observations.
- Login to Western Connect using your Western username and password.
- Go to the Centre for Teaching and Learning section. Select Event Calendar and select the event you wish to register in. Details and a description of the program will appear.
- Select the Register on Waiting List button. You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
- To complete your registration to be considered for enrolment, complete Steps 1 & 2 found in your automated confirmation email. If we do not receive a completed registration (both Steps 1 & 2), you will not be considered for enrolment.You will receive an automated confirmation email to your Western email account.
Due to limited enrolment, we are not able to accept everyone who completes the registration process. If a spot does not become available for you, we encourage you to register for the next round of TMP.
Prerequisites / Recommended Preparation
None (active TA duties not required)
To complete the program, students must attend the organizational meeting (one hour), observe a one-hour teaching demonstration for each group member (three-four hours), engage in a final feedback discussion and provide each group member with written feedback (one hour).
Typically twice per year (organizational meetings are held Jan/Feb and Sept/Oct).
Applies to the following certificates
You may also be interested in these programs:
Testimonial from past participant
“I enjoyed attending the lectures/tutorials of my group members and learned about various active learning strategies used in different departments. The flexibility of the TMP made the program very unique and stress-free for graduate students with a lot of things on their plates. The constructive comments I received from my group members will help me design my future lectures.”